The “wings” of Monticello include the rooms located under the two L-shaped terraces adjoining the cellar under the main house. They include the oldest standing structures on the mountain and the only surviving slave quarters on the Monticello plantation. Recent restoration and interpretation of these rooms provides a fuller story of Monticello and sheds light on the complexity of early America, race-based slavery, and the entanglements, tragedies, triumphs, and contradictions of Monticello life.
The icehouse, tack room, and bays for horses and carriages were located in the North Wing, which connects the passage under the house to the North Pavilion.
JEFFERSON’S TRAVELS A map of Jefferson’s route to Washington, DC, an interactive version of Jefferson’s 1807 odometer, and a reproduction of Jefferson’s 1802 horse-drawn phaeton—the sports car of its day.
ICE HOUSE The icehouse was used primarily to store fresh meat and butter, and to chill wine. The ice sometimes lasted through summer.
NORTH PRIVY Although it was unusual for houses in the United States at the start of the 19th century to have toilet facilities inside them, Monticello had three. These non-flushing privies were attached to shafts that provided ventilation.
MOUNTAINTOP HANDS-ON ACTIVITY CENTER Write with a quill pen, play 18th-century games, look through a camera obscura, build models and enjoy many more fun, hands-on activities designed for children of all ages. Seasonal.
The South Wing connects the South Pavilion to the all-weather passage that runs under the main house and contained the post-1809 kitchen, cook’s room, smokehouse, living quarters for enslaved workers and the dairy.
1770 SOUTH PAVILION and MARTHA JEFFERSON Learn about Martha Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson’s wife during the earliest years of Monticello. She passed away at the age of 33 after she and Jefferson had been married ten years.
THE LIFE OF SALLY HEMINGS A groundbreaking new digital exhibit that relies on the words of Sally Hemings’s and Thomas Jefferson’s son, Madison, to explore her life and the legacy of freedom she achieved for her family.
GETTING WORD ORAL HISTORY PROJECT The Getting Word Oral History Project documents the oral histories of descendants of people enslaved at Monticello. This exhibit tells the history of Monticello and American slavery through the stories of its survivors and their families.
GRANGER/HEMINGS KITCHEN The newly excavated and restored first kitchen of Monticello reveals more about the lives of Ursula Granger, Peter Hemings, James Hemings, and other enslaved cooks and chefs who helped create early American cuisine.
POST-1809 KITCHEN Jefferson ordered Monticello’s later kitchen incorporate all the newest and best cooking technologies available at the time.
COOK'S ROOM One of very few surviving slave quarters at Monticello, several enslaved people lived in The Cook’s Room. Enslaved chef Peter Hemings lived in this quarter for some time before another enslaved chef, Edith Fossett and her family, moved in.
DAIRY Learn about the processes for making cheese, cream, and butter two hundred years ago.
SMOKEHOUSE Jefferson ordered the relocation of Monticello’s Smokehouse from Mulberry Row in 1802. The new Smokehouse joined other food storage and preparation areas in the South Wing. Enslaved workers butchered and preserved meats through salting and smoking during winter, when the cold minimized spoilage.
Learn about: Martha Wayles Jefferson, Sally Hemings and her family, Ursula Granger, James Hemings, Peter Hemings, Edith Fossett, six enslaved families and their descendants.
ALL-WEATHER PASSAGE and MAIN HOUSE BASEMENT
CROSSROADS Exhibition The cellar level of the Monticello house was a horizontal and vertical crossroads constantly in motion as enslaved workers labored to make this plantation possible. This exhibition evokes the constant interaction and activity required to keep Monticello running as enslaved domestic workers, Jefferson family members, slaves accompanying Monticello visitors, waggoners delivering supplies, and anyone else using Monticello's work spaces crossed paths.
WINE CELLAR Jefferson has been described as America’s “first distinguished viticulturist” for his support for the establishment of an American wine industry and his efforts to grow Vitis vinifera at Monticello and regularly purchased wine from Europe. Located just below Monticello’s Dining Room, the Wine Cellar brings to life the story of Thomas Jefferson and wine with interpretive signs, reproductions of period wine bottles, and a restored original wine dumbwaiter.
BEER CELLAR At Monticello, beer was a "table liquor" served during dinner, and Jefferson's earliest designs for his plantation included spaces for brewing and the storage of beer. The Beer Cellar tells the story not only of beer and brewing at Monticello but also of its various brewers like Joseph Miller, English sailor, and Peter Hemings, Monticello slave.
Learn about: Burwell Colbert, Martha Jefferson Randolph, Priscilla Hemmings, Israel Gillette, Isaac Granger Jefferson, Betty Brown, Harriet Hemings
Mulberry Row, the tree-lined road running alongside the main house, served as the industrial hub of the 5,000-acre Monticello plantation. Several slave quarters for people enslaved at Monticello also stood on this road.
STABLE The structure has been in almost continuous use since its construction in 1809. The two stone buildings, originally part of a larger structure, were likely used to store feed and tack during Jefferson’s lifetime. Enslaved grooms and hostlers like Jupiter Evans and Wormley Hughes cared for Jefferson’s prized carriage and riding horses.
HEMMINGS CABIN Enslaved master carpenter John Hemmings and his wife, Priscilla, likely lived in a cabin like this reconstruction. Priscilla Hemmings cared for the Jefferson-Randolph children as enslaved nursemaid. This reconstruction represents one of three houses built circa 1793 on Mulberry Row for individual families. It is furnished based on historical records and a rare first-person account.
TEXTILE WORKSHOP A restored ca. 1778 structure featuring an exhibit about Mulberry Row and a room depicting the factory where enslaved women and children turned cotton, hemp, and wool into cloth for enslaved people and enterprise.
STOREHOUSE FOR IRON The Storehouse for Iron was a workshop for tinsmithing and nail-making, and living quarters for enslaved workers. It was recently recreated using archaeological and historical evidence.
OTHER SITES ALONG MULBERRY ROW Stonehouse, Dairly/Smokehouse, Nailery/Blacksmith Shop, Joiner's Shop, Coal Shed's
Learn about: Wormley Hughes, Jupiter Evans, John and Priscilla Hemings, James Dinsmore, Joseph Fossett, Harriet Hemings, Brown Colbert, and many others
At the David M. Rubenstein Visitor Center and Smith Education Center
Thomas Jefferson's World, Monticello's visually rich introductory film, describes Monticello's central importance to Jefferson's life and work and will emphasize Jefferson's consequential accomplishments and his core ideas about human liberty—the world-changing ideas—that reach from his place and time in history to the present day. Airs continually throughout the day, year round.
Monticello as Experiment: 'To Try All Things' explores Jefferson's use of Monticello as a laboratory for his belief that "useful knowledge" could make life more efficient and convenient and lead to the progress of the nation.
Griffin Discovery Room Geared toward Monticello's younger visitors, the Griffin Discovery Room offers a variety of hands-on, interactive ways for young people to connect with Thomas Jefferson and the members of the larger Monticello community.